Monday, May 13, 2019

A letter in the mail (Myst of Pandaria)

The young mage began to run frantically through the streets of Dalaran stumbling over small plants and bushes as she went. Her feet carried her to the small apartment of Lady Luinsul, she panted heavily as she crossed the door frame nearly stumbling over the small entrance way rug. “Lady Luinsul…” she shouted, looking around the house in great distress. She tried to catch her breath beginning to go room to room.

"Kori dear…. what is it," the elegant Draenei stepped out of one of the apartment rooms, clearly a bit surprised to have visitors at this hour. The young mage, tried to say something only to have been winded by the trip from the portal room.

As Koriara gasped for air she finally managed to speak, “Lady… Luinsul, do you have any…. medicine?” she squeaked holding at her chest catching her breath?

"Medicine? What for?" Luinsul blinked in confusion, "I mean I’ve got healing potions… what’s wrong?" her face growing concerned.

Koriara finally managed to get her breath back, wiping the sweat from her forehead, “It’s Lady Alnarra mam, she’s fallen ill.”

The look of concern on Luinsul’s face grew heavier, “Ill… ill with what?”

Koriara gulped a bit, realizing that she was certainly no doctor, nor any kind of field medic, “I… I don’t know… She came stumbling into Moonglade last night. I thought maybe she had just finally broken her month long spell of sobriety. When Ms. Stargove… er Ebonash is drunk though she usually doesn’t fly home, she’ll usually just fall asleep at whatever bar she got drunk at.”

The young mage began to shake, “But she had this crumpled up letter in her hand, and she was shaking. She began to throw up all over the pathway and could barely walk. She was coughing too and I didn’t know what to do, so I went searching for Mr. Hafu and I couldn’t find him so I began to come here so I could find you because you might know what to do… and,”

"Calm down," Luinsul said, not wanting to watch the girl wind herself again just trying to explain the situation, "Now you said she was holding a letter, do you know what was on it?"

"Oh yes mam," Koriara piped up, "it was from a Lord Ravenhul of the Sin’dorei, I didn’t read a great deal of it, something about dirt worshipping and Alnarra’s time with the sentinels."

Luinsul seemed to mutter a bit, clearly getting upset, “Ok… let me think, I don’t have anything here that might work…. did you get any other details?” she said beginning to shift through her cupboards looking for supplies, she thought for a great deal of time, “Ravenhul… where have I heard that name before, I know Alnarra has mentioned it before…” she put her finger to her lips, “Wait…. did you say of the Sin’dorei?”

Koriara nodded, “Yes Mam, the letter was written on some rather elegant paper, and covered in some kind of…fine…pow— Oh no.”

A look of horror crossed both their faces as Luinsul quickly shouted, “Come dear, follow me,”

The two rushed once more through the streets of Dalaran running to the local alchemy vendor. With a quick descriptions of the symptoms and a notation that it might be a poisen, the vendor was quick to work putting something together, “Here Kori, you take this back and you find Hafu. Last I heard he and Alnarra had gone on a trip to Darnassus, Tell him exactly what’s happening.”

The young mage complied happily taking the mixture and storing it safety in her satchel. With a flick of her wrist, a few magic words, and a bit of work, she was in the home of the Kal’dorei, Darnassus, and hopefully the location of Mr. Hafu.

Running through the streets, after nearly plowing down quite a few sentinels as they did their rounds, and a number of quick apologies later, she found Hafu shopping at one of the local tailors looking over some dress shirts. "Mr Hafu!" she screamed nearly running into him.

The sturdy Worgen dodged her clumsy nature blinking a few times, “Do… I… know you?” he asked scratching his head.

"Sorry Mr. Hafu, little time for introductions. My Name is Kori Ward, I help Ms Alnarra with paperwork," she panted having managed to wind herself once more, "You need to get to Moonglade right away sir,"

The worgen laughed a bit, “Now hold on, Moonglade? What’s going on. This isn’t some kind of surprise party is it?” He looked on at the curious little mage amused at her antics.

"No sir, it is your wife, she has been poisoned sir!" the look of distress growing on the Mage’s face by the word.

Hafu put down the shirt he was admiring, blinking a few times, “I’m sorry, I must have heard you incorrectly, did you say my wife has been poisoned?”

Koriara only nodded, pulling out a small vial filled with Anti-Toxin that had been bought in Dalaran. The Worgen quickly snatched it out of her hand pushing past her and rushing towards the Hippogryph stables, “Find a druid or a priest, make haste dear,” he shouted as he continued on his way.

After a brief and panicked flight, Hafu landed in Moonglade rushing to his wife’s side. He found her laying near still in the crudely made hay bed in the small barrow den, “Alnarra,” he shouted shaking her fear and panic in his eyes.

She began to cough and vomit into the hay, her skin cold and clammy, her head practically on fire, “Ha— ” she managed to say before coughing once more.

"Here drink this," he said handing her the small vial, "Everything will be alright, just drink this and hold on," Hafu looked around the room, "Oh dear when is that little girl getting back?"

"Hafu…. it hurts," Alnarra cried out, tears streaming down her face, "I tried to mend it myself, but every time I did, it just came back worse," she griped his paw tightly

"It’s alright, just rest drink it and everything will be ok, I promise," he tipped the small vial back, as he held her in his arms, letting the rather foul smelling liquid do it’s job. "Just keep it down," he said as the druidess nearly choked on the substance wretched taste.

She held him closely as she could manage in her weakened state as he watched helplessly while the anti toxin did it’s job. After several minutes with no clear results Hafu, having little knowledge of Toxins and Poisons began to panic, “Don’t you die on me, everything will be all right,”

As he looked on, her eyes began to close, the small Sprite Darter that she kept at her side came bounding from her bag, a small grin on it’s face. Hafu turned and looked at the creature in surprise, “Wha the-” he began to say as the creature took flight hovering above her.

"Oh dear… If I’m hear that means she’s not." the Sprite darter squeaked.

"Wha— What do you mean she’s not here!" Hafu demanded swatting at the small creature.

"Well… if I were to guess, I would say her mind has been pushed into the dream to deal with the pain in her body." It hovered over her form trying to gauge the situation, "Hafu let go of her hands and wash yours immediately, that’s a contact poison. An old Kal’dorei recipe for taking down rogue druids if I’m not mistaken…"

Hafu blinked a few times at the creature, the surprise evident in his eyes. “Wha-…. ” he grumbled before getting up to find a small bucket of water to wash his hands in. “What are you!?”

"A last line of defense, something I left with little Kykona here quite some time ago. I was hoping it would never be needed. But if Lynx’s life was ever truly in danger, well I’m here to try and stop that. From the looks of it she’s probably gone and done something foolish again"

Hafu grumbled, not liking the tone of the small creature or it’s assessment of the situation, “That’s my WIFE!” he nearly growled, “And right now she’s sick, and I don’t know what to do!”

The sprite darter simply chuckled, “You know… I always imagined you’d be a bit taller. As much as she talked about you.” it looked over her cold body, “That Anti Toxin’s only going to keep the poison at bay for a short time. You’re going to need a counter toxin developed specifically for it. We’re going to need druid or a priest and I can have them whip it up quickly.”

Hafu looked on at the sprite darter stunned, unsure of what to say, “I already have Koriara looking for one,” he stammered taking Alnarra and gently rocking her.

"Well at least she moved on finally," the Sprite Darter laughed, "I thought she was going to weep at my grave every day of the week. Poor girl, always was a stickler for such things,"

"Wha—- who are you?" Hafu Demanded angrily from the Sprite Darter.

"Though I am proud of her, it took some time, but I like you, and well I wasn’t going to let a fool marry my wife," she sprite darter replied pulling a small root and breaking it gently rubbing it a top her forehead, "I’m a shadow of a man she once knew," it almost giggled.

Hafu’s eyes went wide, “Tha— that’s impossible… that means you’re”

The sprite darter simply nodded, giving a “Shh” hand gesture with it’s tiny front legs, “Now quickly, go to the supplies shop in Darnassus and pick up some Liferoot. Don’t you worry about Alnarra, I’ll watch over her until you get back”.

Hafu simply nodded, “I… didn’t know.. I…. if I had known,”

The sprite darter shook happily, “Don’t worry my boy, I’m glad she moved on, and I’m happy she is living again. I am just here to make sure she keeps on living. Go now, everything will be fine, we’ll get this sorted”.

With that Hafu rushed out the door once more, quickly trying to find his way to Darnassus. As he nearly cleared Moonglade, Koriara and a familiar face wondered in, “Hafu I found….” she looked around for Hafu not seeing him. In tow she had brought Xeroan and a rogue.

"Oh Mr. Xero… you’re dropping by as well tonight, well I didn’t even think to get out the wine," the sprite darter laughed.

Xeroan promptly ignored the small creature rushing to Alnarra’s side, “We must act quickly,” he whined. The rogue beside him was quick to begin mixing various roots and the likes to form a salve and vapor.

"You might want to add some Dream foil to that mixture, It’s an old Kal’dorei contact poison, bit of Fel’weed, hint of Gromsblood, and more then it’s fair share of tainted moonwell water" the sprite darter spoke up, "Only good way to counteract this kind of thing,"

"What’s the deal with the Lizard?" the rogue asked realizing that that Dream foil would indeed be needed.

Xeroan continued to ignore the small creature using his own druidic magic to attempt to draw the poison away from vital organs. As the duo worked tirelessly the poison was eventually halted, leaving a mess of chemicals and herbal remedies strewn about the floor.

"I guess I didn’t need Hafu to get that liferoot after all," the small sprite darter chuckled. Xeroan and his companion were quick to walk outside instructing Koriara to find some bandages to cover Alnarra’s hands and arms with to compensate for the scrubbing needed to remove the toxin.

The 3 went outside the small barrow den to speak for a moment, leaving the Sprite Darter and Alnarra alone.

"Well Love, it would seem you have quite the assortment of friends, and a husband willing to come bail you out of a fire," it chuckled landing softly as Alnarra rested peacefully in the hay, "I’m sorry I wasn’t able to be there for… well a lot of anything lately, and I’m also sorry I had to tell Xero and his friend about your Allergies, but they were making an anti-toxin, so it seemed relevant," it chuckled a bit, "Poor Kykona can’t keep me in here for long, so I’m afraid it’s back to retirement for me. There’s so much more I want to tell you, so much more I want to say, but… you’ve got a good life, you’ve moved on, and I’m happy for you and him both. Rest well Lynx"

No comments:

Post a Comment