Monday, May 13, 2019

Frustrations with the Goddess (Warlords of Draenor)

Steam filled the air, the room having an almost sullen mood. At the center of the shower the druidess sat quietly. In her hands a small locket, the one she had not let leave her sight or form for nearly 1,000 years. Her fingers caressed the small coffin shaped locket again and again as water dripped down her naked form. She sat quietly in a private bath she had managed to find, each drip of the water resonating against the emptiness of the room, the gentle pitter-patter against the tiled surface all that could be heard.

With the lighting barely more then a small oil lamp down the hallway, as she stared deeply into the pendant, perhaps hoping there might be some answers there. Kykona, a sprite darter, and near constant companion stayed just outside, waiting with a simple linen towel, knocking quietly on the doorframe, it’s little wings beat just enough to keep it afloat, “You ok?” it asked softly.

No response came, not even a dulled whisper or whimper, prompting the sprite dater to put the towel down on a nearby chair, giving up on the flying act and walking slowly across the tile surface. It’s small feet treaded through the water lightly as it made it’s way to her. She sat slouched, her back against the wall and her feet stretched out in an almost lazy manner, like someone who had been shot, she stared hopelessly at the ground.

The small sprite darter approached slowly, gently going to tap on the woman’s hand with it’s small paw, looking up at her with more concern then anything else, it repeated it’s question, “You ok?” The truth was the little creature already knew the answer but there was little to nothing it could do. Crawling up the woman’s arms, it gave the best attempt that a sprite darter could manage, trying to extend it’s short arms around her chest and press it’s head tight against the woman’s frame, “It be ok” was all it could offer.

It took time, but eventually the druidess would come to respond, gently squeezing at the sprite darter resting her chin atop its head, “Is it me?” she asked with a raspy voice, her body shaking. The water that made it’s way down her face stained with salt, “Am I the reason that it doesn't work out?” The sprite darter could do little to offer a response only leaning up to lick away one of the tears, “It be ok” the tiny creature repeated, hugging at the woman as tightly as it’s small and meager frame would allow.

Her eyes were bloodshot from the tears, as it was something she really had not face in any significant manner since the fight. She had run away at first, going to hide with friends, but now she was alone, spending her night feeling more isolated then she had in months, or perhaps… it seemed at least, years. In truth her relationship had been short lived, but it did not make the sting hurt any less, watching as the two walked away from her life any less of a painful memory.

“I don’t want to be alone” she cried softly, not even willing to turn to what had once been an easy crutch in the form of alcohol. The very taste of it seemed to make her sick and in truth all she really wanted right now was a friend. “Why… why now? Things were going so well… and it just, it all fell apart. Have I forsaken you?” her question seemingly directed at no one in particular, “Did I forget to do my ritual as I was supposed to? Was there some prayer that I said wrong? What have I done to so displease you? This year…. Has been countless frustration; one after another you present me with happiness only to rip it away. What did I do to deserve this? I have taken care of 3 little ones, who aren't even mine. Watched over them, cared for them, and done everything that I know how to make their days easier and their nights restful.” The anger in Alnarra’s voice grew as she stood looking up at the ceiling.

“I have saved countless lives on the battlefield and at home, mended those who were sick, cared for those who could not care for themselves. I have defended our lands with Honor, rushed into battle when my name was called and yet you put me through these trials and I don’t understand!” the pitch growing in frustration, her voice growing louder and louder with each word. “You offer others these happy lives, these marriages, and yet you burn my home down, you send me through a string a failed relationships! Is there a purpose to all of this? Is there some grand master plan that you hope to accomplish because…. Just damn you!” tears streamed down her face again as she hissed upwards.

“Damn you, I have done everything that could be asked of a Kaldorei, I grow weary of these trials. I do not know how many times more I can take being lifted up only so you can throw me back down. Whom do you answer to!” She shouted, her form shaking in anger now, “Who are you accountable to? What gives you the right!?” A small cough as she went to rub weakly at her right arm, going to sit back down “I thought I had found love…. I thought I had found my happiness, but all I have found is that my journey must begin again,” there was a deep frown that followed as she laid herself back against one of the corners wrapping her arms around her legs the Druidess put her head against her knees, sighing in frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment