Monday, May 13, 2019

Letters to home (Myst of Pandaria)

Alnarra sat quietly in her room, her books were neatly stacked away, and from the walls she had placed several very ancient but very well kept children’s drawings off all kind. The shelves were decorated with clay pots, small metal objects, and wood carvings all at some time art projects or the like from her children. Pictures of family placed neatly around the room.

A virtual timeline of her growing up, the pictures started With Alnarra as a young girl, being held in her mother’s arms, both of her parents looking for too stoic for their own good. The pictures progressed eventually Alnarra becoming older and older, and soon it was not Alnarra and her parents, but Alnarra and Veraldan. These pictures took on a life of their own; soon it was one child in Alnarra’s arms, then two children, and then the whole Stargrove family in the frame. The pictures progressed showing the family moving from spot to spot, before finally the pictures seemed to stop. The shelf was nearly empty except for a single picture the dotted end of the dresser, Veraldan and Alnarra holding each other tightly, the familiar smile that dotted their faces in all the pictures prior all but vanished. There were no Stargrove children in the last frame.

The wind rustled gently through the windows, rattling at the human structure, but today Alnarra seemed to be ignoring the dank nature and poorly lit room which housed all of her most precious memories. Instead in her hand sat a quill and a very fine piece of paper. She had been staring at it for a long time, not sure of what to write. With a light smile she finally seemed to make up her mind, scrawling on the little note.

“Dear Little Raven,

I am sorry that I could not be home for this human holiday; they seem to take this time to gather round with family and friends and eat so very wholesome. I must admit that as Holiday’s go this one seems to have the right idea. I am hoping that this letter finds you well little one, I must admit that knowing you are back home and safe it is very hard for me not to want to pack up and head that way.

I know that that you want to spend some time with that young Terethor fellow, I do hope that he is treating you right. I know these last few months have been tough…. And I wanted to apologize for you for what happened between me and Hafu.

I…”

A single tear seems to dot the paper as Alnarra goes to wipe it away, she sniffles a bit.

“… want you to know that I had my reasons for doing what I did. I did not want to take a brother or sister away from you, but when you came home covered in those scars. After what you had told me about what the Orcs had done to you I couldn’t. I couldn’t let the little one growing inside me replace you, or your brothers and I know that’s selfish Alaanah and I beg you to forgive me.

The doctors said that it would have taken my life if I had let it continue, but you know that wouldn’t have stopped me. I want you to know that I made my choice and that even if you do hate me for it, I will understand and I will always love you no matter what.

I love you so much little one and I miss you terribly. I tried to visit when I could, but whenever I dropped by your home you and Mr. Terethor seemed to be away. I understand if you don’t want to see me, I can’t imagine what it must be like. I pray for you at the Temple every day, and I ask our Goddess to help make your days and your nights easier. I know you had talked about having a little one of your own.

I want you to know that there would be no greater joy then to know that you were happy and had one of your own to take care of, and love, and be there for. I know that the little girl I raised will make an excellent mother, and if you would let me I would try to be there for every holiday and every moment I could. I wouldn’t want to miss a single moment of the little one’s life. It might be nice to be called Grandma.”

A small smile spread across the Night Elves lips as she went to dip the quill in ink once more, the script more elaborate the any of the notes she had taken. She thought warmly about holding a small child in her arms once more, someone she could call family.

“I’ve moved to Darkshire, it’s a quaint little room at the inn. I am slowly starting to settle in, and it has its perks. Though… with the medicine I haven’t gotten much sleep and the nightmares… they keep coming back.

But I should not burden you with such thoughts little one, they are not your weight to carry, they are mine. I want you to know that your mother is safe and sound and that she cares for you deeply. You shouldn’t hesitate for a moment if you want to visit, even if it is just to yell at me. Just seeing your face is all the happiness that I need.

Please stay well these winter months; I know how terribly cold it can get in the mountains. I want you to wrap yourself in something warm. You know how easily you used to catch a cold, and don’t you go hissing at this letter either or I will personally come up there and drag you by the ear until you put on something warm.

And you stay well fed too, I don’t care if Terethor eats a great deal or not, you eat what you need to stay happy. If you need me to I can come up there and make some meals. I have included some furs, leathers, dresses, and food in the package, so hopefully the post will not tamper with it.

I must get back to cleaning up a bit, but I just wanted to reach out to you little one, I wanted you to know I love you so much.

With Love,

Mom

Alnarra shifted to her feline form so that she could dip her paw in the ink, quickly stamping the letter as if to give it her own personal seal. The feline blew gently on the words to dry the letter and then began to use her nose to roll it into a small case before pulling over one of her candles, letting the wax drip to seal the small metal case.

As the letter was sealed Alnarra began to rub her muzzle gently against the case, licking at it, “I love you little one,” she said gently, purring as she held it between her paws, “I’m sorry I couldn’t come to see you,” her voice quiet as she gave a gentle sigh and began to load the letter into a neatly arranged crate stuffed with Dresses, Furs, Linens, and Leathers all in Alaanah’s size. She patted the lid down gently before tugging at it with her teeth. Alnarra began making her way down softly to the post office in the small dark town.

“Mam we don’t ship crates of that size out of Darkshire, you’re going to need to take it to Stormwind.”

“Please sir, just this once, I promise I will pay you a little extra if you could just ship this for me. It’s for my little girl and if I take it all the way to Stormwind it won’t get to her before the holiday is up. Can you please take it with you on your next trip out?” Alnarra’s voice was pleading as she tried to push the crate across the counter, her eyes genuinely begging for them to take the box.

With a gruff sigh and a shake of his head the postmaster begrudgingly took the box, “Fine… but just this once Ms. Elf,”

Alnarra gave a delighted smile and nod of her head, “Oh thank you sir,”

With that she trusted the crate loaded with supplies would make it to her daughter before seasons end, heading back to the tavern that she called home. Stumbling back into her room she looked around. There was so much that still needed to be done, so many crates that could be unpacked. She gave a gentle laugh as she padded about, “I suppose Mr. Ino did dare me to remain like this for the rest of the day,” she looked down at her paws shaking her head, “Fools gamble, I would have done it anyway,”

With as much agility and grace as a cat could must she began to unpack things in the room, holding a duster in her muzzle she got to work trying to clean the cobwebs out of the room, using her tail to take another duster and sweep behind her causing anyone with even the slightest of allergies to have a terrible sneezing fit if they dared enter.

With a happy grin she continued to clean and unpack, pulling out tea kettles, old swords, and more books and placing them where she could manage. Her paws clinging to the top of the bookshelf as her back feet hung in midair, as she used her mouth to slide another book into the cramped arrangement, “Alright,” she mumbled, “Maybe this will be tougher than it looks”.

No comments:

Post a Comment