Saturday, May 25, 2019

Reason (Warlords of Draenor)

As the druidess held the exhausted Draenei in her arms, she gave a small, very tired smirk, rocking her slowly her eyes tired, heavy, and wet with tears. The girl had been arguing earlier about some of the crew and Alnarra had stepped in, and she hoped, at least shown the young Saphilyn that there were better ways to go about things. As she held her tightly a gentle rhythm to that rocking, practiced and self-assured, the Kaldorei mother of three slowly made her way below decks, a little sigh escaping her before she found the bunk. Then with that same dedicated motherly love she moved the covers and laid the resting woman down patting her head and pulling a small stuffed saber form her satchel, tucking it into the covers with her. Fluffing the pillow and planting a soft kiss on the woman’s forehead.

It was something that was so natural, so second nature to her that she didn’t even think about it until she was back on deck. The Draenei girl was not a child, but a 94 year old vindicator. Their fight had been over the horrors of the world and to prove her point Alnarra had evoked memories that she tried to keep buried. Reminders to herself that everyone whom she had known by blood lay resting in a grave on a faraway land. Letting out a shuttering sigh she found quiet place and let her form slide down the wall before putting her face into her knees and allowing a shuddering sob to escape her.

She wasn’t truly upset about the fight, or even the memories, it was simply an emotionally charged day and she needed a moment to just let it all out. Her feet and toes flexed as she hummed softly to herself. Looking down the hallway she spotted her own room, and the temptation to return there, to push herself into the silken sheets with her Sin’dorei fiancĂ©e made their way through the druidess mind, but right now she needed to sort this out with her own strength.

Araane had landed aboard the vessel, evoking a variety of emotions in their personal conversation, then being thinking about the Shifting Sands, Her Children, and everything else. It was a pressure that the druidess needed to release in some way, and then her eyes glinted back to the room with the Draenei she had just tucked into bed.

There was a firmness in her commitment, not wanting to raise a child in this time of war, not wanting them to suffer through what would no doubt be unimaginable horrors. She could not bring herself to allow such a thing, not as they were, not before the world started to mend; however, for those young ones, those little ones without a home or family, she felt a responsibility. She grew fearful of the number of people that seemed to associate her with motherly doting, but in that moment, watching the tired, emotionally drained Saphilyn rest she somehow felt… reassured.

She wasn’t just a mother for Gwen, Felenae, Lithiaris, or, Laesonia, she was a mother to any who needed her. She wasn’t just a momma cat, but the mother cat. That could be her mission on this voyage, to find the stranded and the lost, the hopeless and unsure, and to remind them that even amidst the chaos of war and destruction the motherly love she had been so deprived of as a child, that these orphans of a splintered, fractured, hopeless world could find in her.

Scared to get so close to the array of young humans, Draenei, and elves that came to her for advice she took a deep breath thinking to herself, “Maybe this is my purpose, maybe this is what the Goddess has chosen me for”. Looking down at the locket clutched tightly in her hands she leaned down and kissed it, “Then I will look after them for you… all of them” laughing softly as she closed her eyes and let the little tears flow down her cheeks.

“I’m scared Goddess” she admitted quietly in the shadowy depths of the Storm Glaive’s hull, tucked away as the crew rested, “I don’t know if you have truly… or if I am reading into this wrong, or perhaps that I am just being arrogant, but I have to believe… for me, that this is what you wish me to do, and if that is so then I will give my everything as I have always done in your name. I beg of you to give me the strength I need to protect these little ones, all of them, wherever we go, wherever the Storm Glaive, or my life takes me. I know… I know I failed as a mother for my little ones, but I refuse to let myself fail here” she whimpered quietly, rubbing at her eyes and nose, “I just want to do what is right”




x

No comments:

Post a Comment